Monday, April 7, 2014

I Believe--Teaching Edition

I haven't posted in a very long time, a fact I realized recently with some surprise given that I feel like my writing has picked up.  I've been applying to jobs, some of which want me to write two essays, some three, some seven.  One job wanted me to write a statement of teaching philosophy.  I found out about that job after they had already decided which candidates to screen, so it was always going to be a long shot, but I wrote the statement of teaching philosophy in one adrenaline-inspired evening.  Yes, that was mildly stressful, but it was also exhilirating.  Last week, I wrote a sample essay for my students because I couldn't find one that fit the assignment.  I wrote that in one longish night as well, since I wanted my students to have it the next morning for the lesson plan I was simultaneously writing.

These writing experiences have perhaps deprived me of some sleep, which is maybe why I'm battling my second cold in the last three weeks, but both times I found myself less tired than energized.  I looked up after what felt like a few minutes writing and revising to find that two hours had passed.  Writing takes me outside of time.  It always has.

Why, then, pursue teaching?  Why not just write?  Although teaching eats up all of my time (and then some I don't have--as fellow English teachers know), it inspires me.  When I spend my days being angry at the house I have to clean yet again, I have nothing but anger to write.  When I am out pouring myself out for people I care about, doing something I love and believe matters, I find myself with much more to say and more reason to write it down.  I wouldn't have written either my Statement of Teaching Philosophy or my What's Bugging Me essay if it weren't for teaching. 

Enough preamble.  Here's my Statement of Teaching Philosophy.  This is who I want to be.


Statement of Teaching Philosophy

I believe in revision.

At the beginning of the semester, I tell my students that I should display this credo as a bumper sticker, or—to show the depth of my belief—a tattoo.  At first, my students believe that I am referring to revision as a writing practice, and I am.  I believe that there is great value in teaching students that the first thing that comes out onto the paper needn’t (usually shouldn’t) be the finished product.  I force revision upon my writing students by checking off their progress in the writing process, by scheduling writing workshops and conferences, and by offering revision projects with worthwhile incentives.  What I hope my student come to understand, though, is that I believe in revision not just because it produces better writing but because the courage to experiment, the wisdom to evaluate one’s work and thoughts, and the patience to change and change again produces better students.  Revision is a lifestyle I believe in.

I believe in revision not just as a writer, and not just for my students, but also for myself as a teacher. Just as the first idea that comes to a student’s mind is not always the best or the most refined, I trust that as an educator I can be constantly improving.  Although I could just reuse the syllabus and lesson plans and assignments from the last time I taught English 102, I find that every semester I teach I have improved and rethought how I teach, and so I end up revising—often to the point of completely rewriting—how and what I teach.  I ask my students to help me in this.  I have them fill out weekly feedback forms to let me know what they applied to their own reading and writing and what I need to teach in a different way. When I turn in midterm grades, I ask my students to turn in a mid-term evaluation of my teaching.  I also seek to improve my teaching by being a student of other teachers.  I read books, attend conferences, search the internet, and sit at the feet of my colleagues, all in the hope that every time I teach, I can reach one more student or make all of my students a little more confident or brilliant.  Last semester is always my rough draft.

Although I expect to see my students grow and improve, sometimes in ways that they find astounding over the course of a semester, I never expect that a student will walk out of English 101 or 102 already a perfect writer.  Likewise, I don’t expect that every lesson I teach cannot be improved upon.  I hope, though, that through practice and by observing each other as examples, my students and I will embrace the fact that we are never done learning, growing, and revising.

 

I believe that relationships are the most important teaching tool.

I love my students.  I wish it was professionally appropriate for me to use this section of my statement of teaching philosophy to tell you the stories of who they are and where they come from and what they write about and how they make me laugh or think in new ways.  I cannot imagine a more difficult job than teaching English, but I also cannot imagine a more touching and awe-inspiring thing to do with my life.  Although I have been privileged with some personal strengths and a great education, I believe that what makes me effective as a teacher is my devotion to knowing and caring for my students as people.  I want my students to believe that their unique ideas and experiences are interesting and important and worthy of the effort it takes to express them in the best possible manner.

On one level, caring about my students is the easiest part of being a teacher.  How could I not?  I believe that students sense that I see them each as individuals through mannerisms like eye contact and facial expressions, through conversations we have before and after class, and through respectful interactions inside the classroom.  On another level, though, I think relationships a vital enough factor in the learning environment that they are worth a good deal of intentional cultivation.  I am, therefore, intentional about knowing as much as possible about my students’ struggles, strengths, and interests.  I make a point of asking them to tell me these things in questionnaires, particularly at the beginning of the semester, but I also encourage them to make these personal qualities part of their responses to literature and part of their writing.  I like to incorporate a mixture of reader response and personal connections alongside more historically, socially, or linguistically based literary theories.  I want my students to feel valued even as I challenge them to push their understanding in new directions. 

I also believe that the classroom functions best when it is a small community with a common interest in exploring new ideas and skills, and so I am intentional about cultivating relationships between students as well.  One of the great pleasures of teaching is seeing an argument circle or workshop group challenging, encouraging, and teaching each other, all while I am standing back, a benevolent observer.  I want my classroom to be a safe place for such interactions to happen, for everyone to feel confident that he/she can and ought to contribute something vital to the conversation.

 

I believe in using English to help students enter into the conversations going on around them.

In a time when a great deal of media and public policy attention is focused on STEM subjects, I continue to think that a good English education prepares a student for academic, professional, and social success.  I say this not to belittle the importance of an excellent STEM education in any way—I won’t quote Professor Keating from Dead Poets Society about the value of art and poetry, although I do believe we can incorporate beauty and passion into the classroom as he suggests—but to point out that excellent reading and communication skills are how we can integrate all of our other ideas and knowledge into society.  I believe in the value of English class.

That said, as a person who also believes in revision, I believe that English classes should look different now than they did twenty years ago.  Some may argue that what makes literature excellent does not change, and while I concede the truth of that statement to some extent (you’ll have to tear To Kill a Mockingbird and Cry, the Beloved Country out of my cold, dead hands,) the idea of one set canon for high school literature classes has rightly been replaced with the idea that literature is one method for exposing students to a variety of ideas, cultures, genres, and ways of making sense of the world.  More importantly, we educators must consider that the texts available to and surrounding today’s students are radically different than they were before the age of blogs, tweets, on-line magazines, wikis, and search engines.  I believe an English classroom should teach students not only how to read and think about all of these types of media but also how to produce and publish appropriately in them.

Finally, I believe that English class presents educators a unique opportunity to help students learn new ways of thinking.  How does the same idea subtly change when it is expressed through different media, by different authors, in different genres, in other rhetorical situations? Students can learn to consider the elements of rhetoric in order to best communicate their innovations, understandings, or ideals to colleagues.  They can and should learn the mental habit of looking ever deeper into an issue, evaluating sources and evidence, revising previous opinions or methods, and considering a claim from a variety of angles.

Anything we learn, invent, question, or believe impacts the world around us very little if we lack the tools to effectively share it. It is in all of our best interests if our students become voices in the conversations occurring in science, politics, popular culture, and our community.

No comments:

Post a Comment